The main functions of the DRC are as follows:
- Determine and define the types of research/research areas of the institute so that they contribute meaningfully towards realizing the vision of the institute
- Focus on the discovery and application of knowledge, and including dissemination, preferably through publication in referred journals, authored and edited books, chapters in edited books, published conference proceedings, conference papers, working papers and research seminars, occasional papers, etc.
- Maintain/sustain the currency of academic output and scholarly teaching and learning culture within the institute
- Complement and enhance teaching and research, thereby developing links between academics and business through the generation of real-time data and cases for teaching and learning
- Help advance knowledge and reputation for individual faculty members and the institute
- Encourage faculty to engage in consultancy that values expertise, facilitates business entities and organizations
- Develop and maintain consultancy directory, and catalogue consultancy activities undertaken by faculty thereby ensuring their competencies in conducting research and consultancies.