The following responsibilities feature for Heads in addition to the requirements for total management, monitoring and coordination of the department, preparation of plans and programs, annual 5-year budget plan, evaluation and work plans.
The following is also in addition to the Procedures as set out in the Institutional Teaching and Learning Policy.
The Centre/Department Head will
- Ensure the quality of the educational provision within their relevant department and according to the Academic Policy Framework
- Facilitate information sharing on best practice in teaching and learning
These will necessitate the following functions
- Develop and approve all proposals for new course offerings
- Undertake an annual review of courses and units
- Report to Academic Committee on outcomes of course monitoring cycle
- Approve unit outlines, assessment processes, exams and outcomes
- Approve recommendations for credit for Accreditation of Prior Learning
- Investigate, determine and record outcomes of grievance appeals (this responsibility may be delegated to another faculty)
- Prepare annual summary of student grievances received to Academic Committee
- Consider, dismiss or refer allegations of student misconduct
- Convene meetings of faculty members to investigate breaches of academic integrity
- Appoint principal investigator of academic meeting to investigate breaches of academic integrity