Dorji Penjore, Ph.D
Head of Department
Department of Research & Consultancy
- The Australian National University, PhD in Social Anthropology, 2012- 2016. Dissertation Thesis: “Harvesting the Half: Persistence of Sharecropping in Samcholing, Bhutan.” Thesis Supervisory Panel: Nicolas Peterson (main), Chris Gregory (ANU), Toni Huber (Humboldt University of Berlin, Germany)
- The Australian National University, MA in Anthropology, 2006-2007.Dissertation Thesis: “A Preliminary Ethnography of a Village in Central Bhutan with a Particular Reference to Bomena, a Traditional Courtship Custom.”
- Sherubtse College, Bhutan (affiliated to Delhi University), BA Honours in English Literature, 1997.
- Research Methods
- 2021-current: Department of Research & Consultancy
- 2002-2021: Centre for Bhutan & GNH Research, Thimphu
- 1998-2002: Department of Health, Ministry of Health & Education, Thimphu
Research & Publication
- Zhidar Matters: The Rise and Fall of a Controversial 18th Century Bhutanese Ruler (Thimphu: Centre for Bhutan Studies, 2021)
- Dasho Nishioka: A Japanese Who Lived for Bhutan (Thimphu: Dorji Penjore, 2011) (with Tshering Cigay Dorji).
- Dangphu Dingphu: A Collection of Folktales from Rural Bhutan (Thimphu: Dorji Penjore, 2011).
- Love, Courtship and Marriage in Rural Bhutan: A Preliminary Ethnography of Wamling Village in Zhemgang (Thimphu: Galing Printers and Publishers, 2009).
- Was it a Yeti or a Deity – A Collection of Kheng Folktales (Thimphu: Galing Printers and Publishers, 2005).
- Economic and Political Relations Between Bhutan and Neighbouring Countries. Monograph No 7 (Thimphu: Centre for Bhutan Studies and Institute of Developing Economies, Japan External Trade Organization, 2004) (with Pranab Pankaj, Sonam Kinga, Tashi Choden, Lham Dorji)
- Secret Ballots in Rural Heartlands: Gup Elections of 2002 (Thimphu, Centre for Bhutan Studies, 2003) (with Sonam Kinga, Lham Dorji, Tashi Choden, Pema Desel).
- On the Mule Track to Dagana, Monograph 1 (Thimphu: Centre for Bhutan Studies, 2003).
- Bhutan’s National Bibliography (Thimphu: Centre for Bhutan Studies, 2002).
- The Origin and Description of the National Flag and Anthem of the Kingdom of Bhutan (Thimphu: Centre for Bhutan Studies, 2002) (with Sonam Kinga).
- “Dangphu … Dingphu … the origins of the Bhutanese Folktales”, Intangible Culture of Bhutan (Paro: National Museum of Bhutan, 2010).
- “Is National Environment Conservation Success a Rural Failure? The Other Side of Bhutan’s Conservation Story”, Towards Global Transformation (Thimphu: Centre for Bhutan Studies, 2008). pp. 66-87.
- “Folktales and Education: The Role of Bhutanese Folktales in Value Transmission”. In Rethinking Development (Thimphu: Centre for Bhutan Studies, 2007), 258-277. Also published in Journal of Bhutan Studies, 20 (Summer 2009), 21-36.
- “Oral Tradition as Alternative Literature: Voices of Dissent in Bhutanese Folktales” in The Essence of Bhutanese Culture: Proceedings of the Fifth Colloquium, vol. 2 (Paro, Bhutan, National Museum of Bhutan, 2009).
- “Bhutan”, In William M. Clements ed., The Greenwood Encyclopedia of World Folklore and Folklife (Westport, Connecticut and London: Greenwood Press, 2006), 105-112
- “Propitiation of Lha Ode Gongjan in Wamling: A Scriptural Analysis”, In John Ardussi & S. Tobgay eds., Written Treasure of Bhutan: Mirror of the Past and Bridge to the Future (Thimphu: National Library of Bhutan, 2008).
- “Oral Construction of Exile Life and Times of Kunkhyen Longchen Rabjam in Bumthang”, Journal of Bhutan Studies, 13 (Winter 2005), 60-73. Also published in The Essence of Bhutanese Culture: Proceedings of the Fifth Colloquium, vol. 2. (Paro, Bhutan, National Museum of Bhutan, 2009).
- “Wamling Kharpu – A Vibrant Ancient Festival”, In Wayo, Wayo – Voices From the Past (Thimphu: Centre for Bhutan Studies, 2004), 49-71.
- “Trends of Forestry Policy Concerning Local Participation in Bhutan”, Policy Trend Report 2004 (Chiba, Japan: Institute for Global Environmental Strategies), 21-27 (with Phuntsho Rapten).
- Bhutan Journal of Management (2001-current)
- Journal of Bhutan Studies (JBS), Vol 7 to 25 (2002-2011), Vol 36-43
Edited and Co-edited Books
- The Mandala of the 21st Century: Traditions and Innovations in Vajrayana Buddhism (Thimphu: Centre for Bhutan Studies, 2017) (with Dasho Karma Ura & Chhimi Dem).
- Blossoms of Dongdola – Biographies of Drupthob Namgyal Lhundup and Successive Padtshaling Trulkus (Jangchub Pelri Dratshang, 2011).
- Gross National Happiness:Practice and Measurement (Thimphu: Centre for Bhutan Studies, 2008) (with Dasho Karma Ura).
- Globalization – the Argument of Our Times (Thimphu: Centre for Bhutan Studies, 2002) (with Sonam Kinga, Lham Dorji and Phuntsho Rapten).
GNH, Bhutan (economic) anthropology, research methods (qualitative), oral interviews, village ethnography, village survey; decentralization, governance, local (gup) elections, project development and management.